Saturday, April 21, 2012

NO ONE FIGHTS ALONE!



10 years ago seems like yesterday.  It was 10 years ago this month I was introduced to Camp Sunshine and the healing powers of love, that they use, to fight Childhood Cancer everyday.  In 10 years I have been able to be a part of many young lives, learn from them, and become the man I am today.  I have also found a passion in hating cancer and wanting to take it on head first by working with an organization that builds programs and events that let children with cancer feel normal in a not so normal world.

Summer Camp for kids with cancer is very hard to describe to you... but let me give it a try.  Imagine you are a child who has no hair, your best friends are your nurses, and the most joy you have in the day is when the pull the chemo pump away for the day.  Now imagine a place where this same child can swim, play, build character and confidence, grow self esteem and respect and most of all.... be a kid.  Imagine that same child on a ropes course, riding a horse, or in a kayak.   Better yet, imagine that same child with cancer, with 400 other kids fighting the same battle, all together... all fighting the same fight!

Camp Sunshine offers the ability for children to be children... Cancer makes children grow up way to fast... at Camp Sunshine, we dial that back and make them be kids :)

If you can help send a child to Camp Sunshine this summer, you WILL be making a direct impact on the life of a cancer patient who needs and can use this!

I leave you with this....
Camper #1 (On the rock climbing wall, only halfway up): "I can't go any higher, I am scared!"
Camper #2 (at the bottom of the wall, on the ground looking up): "You can do this, I know you can!"
Camper #1: "I don't think I can"
Camper#2: "Hey man, you're beating cancer, you can beat this wall.  I promise you can do this!"

Six minutes later Camper #1 rang the bell at the top of the climbing wall.  At the bottom the two campers high fived.  I cried.

That is Camp Sunshine.

To donate click her and make a difference in a child's life today who is fighting cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment